Wednesday

Hitchcock Birthday Comments

I enjoyed reading this and cheers to Hitch on his birthday!

My only complaint is:
Goofiest Hitchcock Film: (tie) Spellbound (1945) and Family Plot (1976)

Goofy!?! Okay... maybe just a little bit.

I really love Spellbound though and I don't think it's gets the credit it deserves. Or maybe I'm just blinded by Gregory Peck's beauty? I find myself defending the movie a lot, but I love the way it's shot and Dali's contribution is amazing, plus it has a great Bernard Herrmann score. It's one of my favorite Hitchcock films, but I have many.

Family Plot IS a goofy film, but it's also a lot of fun and I think Hitch was signing out with a smile and a wink.
Cinebeats | | Email | Homepage | 08.14.07 - 2:50 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm thinking about things like a colleague forcing a kiss on Ingrid, all the Freud talk spoken so earnestly and the whole analysis of his dream that leads us through the film.

Now, when I call something goofy it doesn't mean I think it's bad. By my defining parameters I've just given for Spellbound one could also label Vertigo as pretty goofy at times too.

The Hitchcock films I think are sub-par are Under Capricorn and later efforts like Topaz and Torn Curtain.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.14.07 - 7:59 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? No mention of Marnie? It would have been my pick if there was a "most kinky" category.
Hedwig | | Email | Homepage | 08.16.07 - 8:13 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose I could have done that, you're right. Or something with horses. Kim Morgan did a great write up on the women in Hitchcock movies on his birthday where she highlights Tippi Hedren in Marnie. Check it out here:
Kim And Tippi: Hitchcock's Birds
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.16.07 - 9:45 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I sit and try to imagine what Hitchcock's movie would turn out like today if he were still alive and directing and who he would have in them... it hurts my brain a little to think about that though, but wouldn't it be wonderful?
Jonathan | | Email | Homepage | 08.17.07 - 11:15 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Jonathan, glad to see you here! You know that's funny you say that because a little game I often play in my head is who would have starred in what movies had they been made in different time? I may even put up a compilation of my suggestions(?) on the site here.

Funny that I would get this comment from you as I wrote some nice words about you just a minute ago on Self-Styled Siren. If you haven't given it a look yet please do.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.17.07 - 11:52 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! I am a faithful reader of Kim's, it's actually thanks to her recommendation that I became interested in watching Marnie; I ended up just as fascinated as she is. Thanks though. There are so many good and interesting film blogs, it's sometimes hard to keep track of them (long live netvibes, and all other rss readers). I greatly admire the Self-Styled Siren too.

Anyway, your feed is in my netvibes page too now, so expect more comments from me from now on!
Hedwig | | Email | Homepage | 08.17.07 - 1:36 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, your feed is in my netvibes page too now, so expect more comments from me from now on!

I look forward to it. And I look forward to your "The problem with Spielberg". He's got a lot to love and hate so I'm interested in what you have to say. I could you give you a few problems I have with him myself but I will reserve that for your site after you publish your piece.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.17.07 - 10:52 pm | #
 


archived comments © 2009. Design by: Greg Ferrara