Thursday

Double the Goodness Comments

Found this place by way of your great comments on Scanners. I'll be back.

No, I have nothing more insightful to add than that, for the time being...
Ken Lowery | | Email | Homepage | 08.26.07 - 1:27 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? No thoughts on the Glaciarium? Just kidding. Thanks for stopping by. I've checked out "Ringwood" and it appears you have one of those "distinctive voices" that everyone seemed to be complaining that no one had. When they weren't complaining about how bad we all are as writers that is. Geez, I don't think anyone writing about film today, including Roger Ebert, writes on the level of James Agee (of whom W.H. Auden said his writing should be studied for its eloquance whether someone is interested in film or not) but it doesn't mean I can't get insight from them. True, if their writing is too long-winded or belabored I might not finish their piece or return to their site but for the most part I enjoy surfing the movie blogs and taking in all the diverse opinions, despite the often "average" writing.

See you soon (on Scanners or Ringwood).
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.26.07 - 10:12 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.. first, thanks for the compliment, though Ringwood is updated irregularly at best and was (until recently) mostly about comics, as you'll be able to tell if you check out what I link to.

That said, I'm one of those mid-20's guys whose knowledge of movies drops off dramatically the further back you go, and I need an education in the worst way. My personal belief is the best education in the arts is to get thrown in the deep end with the big boys, and that's what I'm doing here...
Ken Lowery | | Email | Homepage | 08.26.07 - 6:11 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, right, and to your actual point: I am also not detecting the lack of interesting voices on the internet, or in print. But that may be due to my admittedly insane practice of just, you know, reading the people I enjoy, and allowing myself to try out material outside my norm... because who knows what you'll find?

Scanners has done so much to broaden my horizons re: film discussion, and I know just from reading the comments that there's just this whole wide world of amazing, involving film talk. Like here.

And it's just plain nice to get your geek on, and everyone's cool with it...
Ken Lowery | | Email | Homepage | 08.26.07 - 6:15 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learn more from film blogs, sites,comments and discussions than I do from my film books. Not that I don't get anything from those but the comments and discussions give me alternative viewpoints that are sorely lacking in academia.

By the way, my brother who is in his late forties bought all kind of comics when he was a kid. He had all the original Spidermans, Hulks, Fantastic Fours, etc. My mom of course threw almost all of them out but a few got missed by her and I found them in the attic when I was in college. Anyway, Spiderman #7 was up there and in pretty bad condition but I still got a few hundred for it at the local D.C. comic store. To think he had numbers 1 through 6 and they got chucked. Aaaarrrhhhh.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.26.07 - 10:18 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 


archived comments © 2009. Design by: Greg Ferrara