Thursday

Karloff as The Mummy Comments

Karloff is so great in The Mummy! And Zita is so stunning. She has to be one of the most lovely women I've ever seen. It's really a shame that she didn't make more movies.
Cinebeats | | Email | Homepage | 08.27.07 - 1:20 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to I.M.D.B Zita only made eleven movies. And aside from a cameo in 1986 her career ended in 1934 after just a few short years. I don't know much about her but according to the trivia section on I.M.D.B. she was a "strong woman" who it is implied aired her views with people. I'm probably being paranoid about it but that could be it given the ego-maniacal men running the studios in its heyday.

It also says she was married to John Houseman. If she was with Houseman then I assume even further she had little patience with knuckleheads like Mayer, Zannuck, Warner, etc. Apparently she continued to act on Broadway however into the forties.

And Karloff was a great underrated actor who suffered from typecasting in Hollywood. Fortunately, he never let the quality of the film he was in affect his performances. Although the quality of film didn't start suffering until later on. His movies in the early to mid-thirties are just terrific.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.27.07 - 3:16 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan, Karloff appeared in The Lost Patrol, a 1934 release directed by John Ford.

Have you seen it - and if so do you recommend it?
Rick Ryan | | Email | Homepage | 08.27.07 - 7:39 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, Rick I have not seen it yet. However, if it's directed by John Ford and stars Victor McLaglen and Boris Karloff I think I would recommend it sight unseen. My list of films to see is still immensely long even after decades of viewing movie after movie. If I see it first, I'll let you know. If you see it first, I'll read about it on your page.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.27.07 - 9:11 pm | #
 


archived comments © 2009. Design by: Greg Ferrara