Tuesday

Jeanette MacDonald Glenda Farrell Post

Glenda Farrell really was a force of nature and I also love her in MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. Years ago, I was a guest in someone's home in Islington in London and on his staircase he had a number of watercolors of Hollywood actresses of the 20s and 30s - of course my favorite was of Glenda Farrell. The artist really got her pert little mouth down perfectly. I couldn't help but stop and stare every time I ascended or descended, always hoping Glenda would reach out and grab me for a smooch.
Arbogast on His Ass | | Email | 05.20.08 - 11:09 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so glad to discover that Farrell has so many admirers. When people talk about favorites from the thirties I always want to mention her but figure, "Why bother, no one knows who she is anyway." But since the Siren's site has so many lovers of thirties cinema commenting I felt it was a safe bet and I was right.

And Farrell would definitely grab you for a smooch, not a kiss and that's a part of her charm. I envision sitting at a bar with her, trying to keep up as she pounds back the whiskey all the time referring to me as "Mac" or "Buddy."

And the guest bit at the home in London; you're a lucky bastard Arbo.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 11:48 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Mystery of the Wax Museum for the first time in my Forgotten Films of 1933. You're so right--Farrell is mesmerizing in it.

As for Jeanette, when she was directed by Lubitsch, she shined like a newly minted penny. He managed to make her sexy and natural. No other director got to her that way. It's a shame, really, because she had a great voice and chemistry on screen.
Marilyn | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 3:19 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan, Amy-Jeanne, who started this whole thing, also loves Glenda Farrell and has posted some great shots of her.

That's such a cute picture of Jeanette I almost want to give I Married an Angel a try!
Campaspe | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 4:10 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marilyn - Are you back or still blogging from Hawaii? I enjoy watching Wax Museum for Farrell more than anything else, although I like the film as well.

I saw The Merry Widow last year on TCM and enjoyed it and MacDonald very much. I think Kobal was right: Eddy done her in.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 4:18 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Campaspe - I'd stick with the early stuff. I admit the Nelson Eddy flicks, of which that is one, drive me to distraction.

And now I must go visit Amy-Jeanne and see what I've been missing.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 4:20 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to the mainland (reluctantly) tomorrow. I was snorkeling with the fishes today, watching Kileaua belch from a new vent (and breathing nasty vog for a short time), peering into the valley where King Kamehameha grew up, and hobnobing at a film festival with David Winning. Also saw Redbelt and Narnia: Prince Caspian. Pretty good vacation!
Marilyn | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 8:52 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds great, I'm jealous. I'm sure the weather in Chicago will be just as nice as it was in Hawaii (ahem).
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 05.20.08 - 11:09 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought you might like to know that this was Jeanette MacDonald's favorite photograph of herself! One of her close friends pointed this out when I was interviewing him for my book. Sharon Rich, author of "Sweethearts, the timeless love story onscreen and off between Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy."
Sharon Rich | | Email | Homepage | 05.28.08 - 9:01 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see why. I think it's a great picture, she looks carefree and never more beautiful. It's a rare photo where you can see the subject's charm actually coming through the lens.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 05.28.08 - 9:31 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeanette MacDonald is my alltime favorite movie star and, while I love anything that she was in, her gift as a comedienne was more evident in her earlier movies like "The Love Parade' and "Monte Carlo." I love "Naughty Marietta" and "Rose-Marie," but Nelson could never come close to outshining her. The only leading man she had who was worthy of her awesome screen presence was Gable in "San Francisco." In this movie, she also showed a remarkable talent for drama AND she had great chemistry w/Gable.
Claire Harmon | | Email | 08.12.08 - 7:18 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire, I agree about her chemistry with Gable in San Francisco. It's a great movie and I don't think she was ever used to her full capacity as an actress and comedienne.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 08.12.08 - 8:19 pm | #
 


archived comments © 2009. Design by: Greg Ferrara