Thursday

Haloscan Comments for "What the F..."

I love this post so much I wish I could marry it. Particularly:

"that way no one could possibly figure out what the title was. Really, do you have any idea what this word is: F*ck? I didn't think so"

Yes. Exactly. Yes. Censorship of that variety fools absolutely no one except perhaps 3 year-olds (who aren't understanding much of what they're seeing anyway). In the world, all it does is heighten the mystique of the word and increase its value. I would contend that this is the exact opposite of the censors' intent.
Ken Lowery | | Email | Homepage | 11.07.07 - 10:13 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuckin' A bubba! Oops, I mean, f*ckin' A! There, now no one's offended.

Glad you like the post. I really enjoy writing these historical "November is freakishly connected with censorship and taboos" posts on the pre- and post-code era.

But I'm afraid an earlier post I wrote on the Oscars has already proposed to this one and this post accepted. Sorry. Maybe you can be Best Man.

I have to go kill Claudius now. (No one but Ken will probably understand that).
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 11.07.07 - 11:07 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marianne Faithful proves yet again that she is one the coolest women that has ever walked the earth!

Oddly enough, I recently watched a rare Marianne Faithful film that I hope to write about soon so she's been on my mind a lot lately. Seeing her mentioned here was a happy surprise.
Cinebeats | | Email | Homepage | 11.08.07 - 3:10 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is only fitting that the woman who recorded what has to be the most un-sugarcoated, raw and profane song about a man straying in a relationship (Why'd ya do it?) should be the first one to say "fuck" on the screen.

As rock critic Greil Marcus said about the song in his four star review of her Broken English album, "There's a depth of obscenity here to make those male rockers who think they've gotten away with something when they throw a sexless "fuck" into a bragging tune blush."

I look forward to your post on Marianne. I wonder what the movie is.
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 11.08.07 - 9:03 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote a blog post, which I can't seem to find anymore... perhaps it's lost in the ether... completely dedicated to my hatred of the "f*ck" thing. It's just such a bullshit lie. It pretends to protect me from the big, bad word, but forces me to think the word anyway. Stupid.
Neil | | Email | Homepage | 11.08.07 - 11:48 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N*il,
Th*nks f*r y*or c*mment. I agr*e th*t it is st*pid and m*kes one th*nk of the w*rd even m*re so th*n if th*re was no ast*risk at all. I'm g*ing to s*arch yo*r arch*ves to see if I c*n find it bec*use I'd def*nitely l*ke to r*ad yo*r art*cle on the s*bject. Th*nks ag*in!
Jonathan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 11.09.07 - 10:12 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gestalt effect in action, ladies and gentlemen.
Ken Lowery | | Email | Homepage | 11.10.07 - 4:59 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I culdon't aerge wtih you mroe. I'm off ot pcik up a pecrisripton form teh parhcamy and mbyae smoe somkes. Leatr.
Jonthan Lapper | | Email | Homepage | 11.10.07 - 5:10 pm | #
 


archived comments © 2009. Design by: Greg Ferrara